The big beard reveal!

For all of you with a New Year's Resolution, I am proud to announce that as of January 1st, I am back within Navy weight regulations!! Boo-yah. I didn't waste time getting that one knocked out. Ask me for my secret.

In my last post, I mentioned that the dreaded beard loss had begun. Well, the fallout happened rather rapidly once it started. I am still seeing some loss, but it seems to have plateaued. I am now faced with the hairy decision of how to style my radiation-sculpted hair scarf. Naturally, I turn to the most reliable source available for sound advice, the inter webs. I can’t trust other sources to stay away from “Beardy McBeardface” type suggestions for my new permanent solution. The internet has never let me down.

Here is where we started:
Gotta say, That is one good looking man!

And now this is where we are now:


While the change in glasses was a bold choice and the Chemo Acne and Radiation Burn highlights are a nice touch, I am not sure that the change is an overall improvement. I will leave it to the audience to decide if this is a winning look.

There is no "Neck-Beard" option for me anymore. The hair seems to be limited to some awesome Mutton Chops, a scraggly goatee, and a mustache that looks like a caterpillar. The option of a handle bar mustache looks to be limited to only one handlebar at this time (and for all time).

Keeping these options in mind, I have included some ideas for everyone to select from (A FaceBook poll will be available for you to provide your thoughtful and throughly qualified advice).

I will start with a couple of my heroes:

1. Lemmy. I asked my voice coach for the dulcet tones of Frank Sinatra, but I suspect she is leading me towards the divine harmonies of Lemmy Kilmister. Should you not be familiar with his ethereal voice, I suggest gathering the kids around the old Hi-Fi system and lead them on a rousing round of Ace of Spades and Orgasmatron (volume set at 11 of course).


2. Nicola Tesla. Tesla was the eccentric genius who defined the role and set the standard for what both "eccentric" and "genius" mean. At this point, the myth and the reality of who he was and what he accomplished have largely become intertwined in most peoples' understanding. One thing that is for certain, he rocked the Mutton Chop/Mustache look.


3. I don't know off-hand who these guys were (I'm confident that I will be quickly educated), but the 19th century was a golden era for some legendary facial hair. I prefer the left photo with the fuller goatee, but based on what I see in the mirror, it may end up like the fellow on the right.




4. Daniel Day-Lewis. His intensity and passion as a prospector in There Will Be Blood and as the Butcher in Gangs of New York were clearly only possible because of his awesome facial hair. I've mellowed way too much in the last few years, maybe this is the key?



5. This guy may be onto something here. A bit o' whimsy and care will do the trick!


6. Some cool shades and the right hat can always sell the blues-brother look with a good set of mutton chops!



7. Moving into modern day, we have some additional interesting choices. Interesting does not mean good-looking, high-quality, respectable, fashionable, empowering, trendy, legendary, or any other quality that I am shooting for.




















8. Alas, if at the end of the day you are fresh out of ideas and simply give up, then Baby Face should be your choice.


There will be a post on the Facebook group for you to grant me your wisdom on this life-altering decision. I appreciate your input!

Comments

  1. Hi Ryan..I like 2/3..I'll vote on your poll...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some awesome choices here. I look forward to helping you winnow them and seeing the end result

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey so when this crap is over; you're still running for President right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows where life will take me after this "adventure"!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Episode II - The Carcinoma Strikes Back!

Status!